Sunday, January 18, 2009

Polly Heath

My Aunt Polly passed away yesterday morning. About two years ago Polly was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver. The doctors gave her about a 50/50 chance of making it two years. At that time she decided she wanted to spend more time with family. Polly lived close to my grandparents in Virginia, but it had been a long time since she had seen my Mom, her only sister.

(left to right: Polly, my Mom, and my Uncle Steve)

She came and visited my Mom in the summer of 2007. Cody and Riley were able to meet her and we were able to spend a lot of time with her. Riley and Polly developed an instant bond, they were buddies. Everytime we were at my parents house, Riley would immediately go looking for Polly. We were lucky enough to see Polly again that Christmas when she came with my grandparents and then once more this past summer.


Shortly after Polly returned from her last trip here in Utah she was diagnosed with cancer. Some of you may remember that my Mom then went to Virginia for 9 weeks to help take care of her and my grandparents. Over a week ago Polly took a definite turn for the worse and my Mom quickly returned to say her final good-bye. Polly was asleep most of the time but the nurse said that she knew Polly could hear her family talk to her. At one point my Mom started talking about Riley and Polly opened her eyes and smiled.

I'm so grateful that Riley was able to meet Polly. They loved eachother so much. I'm also very grateful that I was able to gain more of a relationship with Polly these past few years. I'm sorry for the pain that she has endured and I am grateful that she has finally been released from that pain. We are also grateful for the knowledge that we have that we will someday see Polly again.

5 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

Sorry to hear about that. That's really sweet about how much she loved Riley

Laisa said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope that Riley will be okay too. Your post almost brought tears to my eyes, I can't believe she smiled when your Mom talked about Riley - that is the sweetest thing!

Jamie said...

Makes you realize what is really important. I'm so glad your Mom was able to spend time with her.

Camille said...

Hey...I'm sorry to hear about Polly...I'll call you later today. Love you.

Jennifer said...

Thank you for the beautiful story about Polly. I knew her 36 years ago when she lived in Mobile, Alabama.I was thinking about her and decided to "google" her to see if I could catch up with her and see how she had been all those years. I was dismayed to see that she had died but was glad to see the blog so I could know what happened to her. Polly was a special person and I feel honored to have known her.