Friday, August 28, 2009

First Day of School


Riley started his first day of kindergarten yesterday. He was so excited, he could not wait to go. He told me when he was eating breakfast that he thought he was going to miss me. I told him that he'd be having so much fun that he wasn't going to have time to miss me. Then he asked me if I was going to miss him. I told him of course.

As we got to the school he couldn't wait to get to the door. School hadn't started just yet so he had to stand out and wait a little bit. He walked over to the line and forgot all about me. A few minutes later he finally looked around and waved at me, but that was the last time he looked at me. Once the door opened, he rushed in without even a glance in my direction.

This is him anxiously waiting for school to start. Look at that smile.


I hadn't felt sad at all, but once he walked in that door I started to tear up. I had to hurry to the car so none of the other parents saw me crying. Then the tears just kept streaming down my face and I couldn't make them stop. I was happy for Riley and how excited he was, but my little baby is no longer a baby.

When I picked him up later he told me all about his day. He told me that he wasn't at school for very long. If he could, I think he would've loved to be at school all day long. I'm just glad that he loves school right now and that he's so excited to learn new things.

4 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

I love his smile...he looks so excited to be at school. I'm glad it went great. Your first day sounded exactly like mine with Abby. I lost it as I was leaving then didn't stop for forever. It will get better though! :) We miss you guys SO much. Out of the blue the other day Joe said "I miss Cody and Nicole". We think about you guys lots! Can't wait to get back there!

Becky said...

What a fun time! I went with Logan for his first day so I did not get upset, but maybe Monday when he is gone all day. I hope he always loves it.

Jamie said...

Kindergarten is bitter sweet. I still say first grade is worse though, that is a loooong day. (just to give you something to look forward to)!

Andy and Ellen Family said...

I'm glad he loved it so much! I'm sure that being pregnant didn't help with all the emotions. Matthew went to all day kindergarten. I loved it but I really did miss him and I'm really not looking forward to school starting again. We've had so much fun this summer that I don't want my kids to go back.