Monday, August 25, 2008

Sleeping with Darth Vader

Recently we found out that Cody has Sleep Apnea. For those of you who don't know what Sleep Apnea is, here's an explanation.

Sleep Apnea is a common disorder in which you have one or more pauses in breathing. Most people have about 5 pauses an hour, when Cody was tested he had about 60 pauses! So pretty much about 1 a minute. We thought he might have a problem when about 6 months ago he started snoring louder and more frequently than ever before. A couple of times I woke up and I could hear him choking. It scared me to death so I made him go to the Dr.

It was clear that he had Sleep Apnea so now he sleeps with a CPAP or oxygen mask. As he breaths in and out it sort of sounds like Darth Vader breathing through his mask. I thought it might bother me a little bit but it doesn't. It's actually kind of soothing and it's very quiet. Cody won't let me take a picture of him with the mask on, so here's a picture of what the mask looks like.

Cute, huh? I'm just really glad that we have found the problem and that he can breath again. He feels so much better every morning now that he doesn't wake up with headaches from the lack of oxygen. And I'm glad I don't have to sleep with earplugs anymore. I was starting to wonder if we were going to have to sleep in different rooms his snoring was so bad. I'm happy that we can sleep in the same room again!

7 comments:

Shay said...

Oh, that's awful! I'm so glad everyone is sleeping better!

Becky said...

That is great that you figured it out before he had major problems. It is funny the things you think will bother you bring great peace to know they are o.k. and no more choking.

Joe and Liz said...

My dad has the same thing and wears the mask too! And it's been great for him. He had to have some overnight tests where they hooked him up to monitors and followed his sleeping patterns. Anyways I'm glad you found something to help Cody. Tell him that being Darth Vader is cool!

Laisa said...

Poor Cody.....does he wear the mask around saying "Riley, I am your father"? (okay, that was a sad joke). Hope you guys are having a blast in Idaho - see ya soon! :D

KW said...

Haha that is too funny. I am glad you figured out the problem but you have to talk Cody into the picture, it would be priceless!

Jamie said...

Hi Nicole. I love your blog, it is so fun to see you cute Riley. I don't have a blog of my own but I love checking others, so I'll be back often!

Jamie said...

So, of course I meant to say YOUR cute Riley.