Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Not time yet!

December 22, 2009 was an eventful day. It was the last day of school for the year and everyone was preparing for the Christmas break.

That afternoon I started having frequent contractions. So I called Cody to see when he was coming home, hoping that his principal would let them leave early. I had been really nervous that I would go into labor while Cody was at work and I wouldn't be able to find someone to watch Riley or take me to the hospital. This was the last day that I'd have to worry about that because Cody would have the next week and a half off of work and we'd definitely have Chase before he went back to work.

Cody was able to come home early, but my contractions were only about 15 minutes apart so nothing to worry about yet. This was all a little new to me, with Riley I never had steady contractions. In fact, I never really remember having contractions at all until I was induced.

A couple hours later, we were watching the BYU Bowl game and I noticed that my contractions were getting closer and closer. Eventually they were 5 minutes apart and I knew that my Dr. told me to go to the hospital if my contractions ever got that close. So I slowly started packing an overnight bag for Riley. We were lucky enough to have many people that were willing to take Riley. We chose to take him to a co-worker of Cody's named Laura since she lived close to the hospital. We called Laura and told her that we were on our way to the hospital.

As we pulled out of the driveway I realized how bad the weather was outside. It was one of the worst storms we had had so far. Great! Just what we needed. We started driving down S.R. 73. A couple of miles down the road we ran into the police blocking the road. They told us that there was a horrible accident and we needed to travel through the Ranches of Eagle Mountain. We didn't know where we were and we had no idea had to get to the main street of Lehi from here. Cody was in a little bit of a panic and told the police officer that I was going to have a baby! The officer seemed a little alarmed but didn't really care. He just told us to find our way through the Ranches. We started winding through until we found a road we recognized.

By this time, it had taken us quite a bit longer to get to Lehi and Laura was getting a little worried. She was going to meet us at the hospital so we didn't have to make an extra trip to her house. We finally made it to the hospital around 8 p.m.

They got me hooked up to the monitors and checked to see if I was dilated. I was only at a 2. After a couple of hours of constant contractions, now at 4 minutes apart, they checked again and there was no change. The Dr. did an ultrasound to make sure that Chase was good and then they sent me home. They said that even though I was having regular contractions, since there was no change, I was not in labor. The Dr. then said that if I got to the point that I couldn't talk through my contractions then I needed to come back. This was very frustrating to hear since it had been since a long trek to the hospital and the weather was still bad.

At this point it was now or never, or at least not for 4 more days. If Chase came right now we'd be able to come home Christmas Eve. And since I did not want to be in the hospital on Christmas Day and miss our first Christmas in our new home, he was going to have to wait until AFTER Christmas. So we picked up a very disappointed Riley. (Not because his brother wasn't born but because he couldn't spend the night at Laura's.) Then we carefully and slowly drove home. By now my contractions were 2 minutes apart but I could still talk. We got home at about midnight and we all went to bed.

I then put myself on bed rest, sort of, until after Christmas. Oh and in case you were wondering, we were able to watch the rest of the bowl game in the hospital and BYU beat Oregon State 44 to 20!

No comments: