Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween Fun

The night before Halloween we carved our pumpkins. Of course carving was a little difficult for Riley so he helped us poke the holes and then he had fun drawing pictures on the pumpkins. Cody helped out a by gutting the pumpkins and then using his power tools to cut the small circles. He also carved the tiny pumpkin. I ended up doing most of the carving. I think next year we'll only get one pumpkin!

Halloween day was a lot of fun. Riley and I went to the elementary school where I used to work and watched the Halloween Parade. It's always so fun to see all of the kids in their costumes. It was also really great to see everyone that I used to work with. Then we went to Cody's work. Then we stopped by the District Office so I could see some of the ladies there that I didn't get to say good-bye to. That was fun for Riley because they let the kids come trick-or-treating there. If we would've had time he could've filled his whole bucket there, but we had to leave and go to preschool. It was definitely a full day of Halloween fun.
That night, I took Riley trick-or-treating while Cody stayed home to answer the door. We went with our friends the Christensen's. It was a lot more fun for Riley to have some other kids to go with instead of just going with me. I couldn't believe it, but we ended up going for 2 1/2 hours. There were a few times where we went into the house's and we sat and talked for little bit so it wasn't 2 1/2 hours straight. I'm just glad that it was such a nice night, it was perfect weather for trick-or-treating. I always hated it when it was so cold that we had to bundle up in our coats and stuff and then you couldn't see our costumes.

Shaelee and Tanner

Now this was Riley's first time really trick-or-treating. Last year we had a trunk-or-treat, and the years before that he was so little we just went to a couple houses. So I tried to coach him before he went. I told him to just go to the door, say trick-or-treat, and then say thank you. I told him that even if they had something he didn't like to say thank you and then Cody or I would eat it or we'd throw it away. He was doing pretty good, then at one door I noticed that he said something to the person at the door but I couldn't hear what he said. When the three kids came back, I asked the older kids what he said and they told me that he said, "I already have this treat." I guess I didn't train him well enough. :)

4 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

Watch out, Cody's got the power tools...that's funny you use that for your pumpkin. Looks like it works though.
Riley looked awesome in his costume! Sounds like he had a great time trick or treating!

Laisa said...

I love that picture with Cody & his drill (ha ha, hilarious)....I hate carving pumpkins, but yours turned out great!
Riley had a cool costume....yeah, it would've been fun to trick-or-treat together. Shaelee & Tanner looked really good.....they are so grown up! Glad you guys had a fun Halloween!

Jamie said...

I'm glad you had a good Halloween, Riley looks awesome! I hate carving pumpkins but we actually did it twice this year. A few weeks ago Mike said (right in front of the kids) "It would be fun to carve pumpkins tonight" I wanted to hit him! So we carved that night and then carved again right before Halloween. Not a tradition we will continue next year!
p.s. I decided to start a blog myself so check it out!!

k8shoe said...

Hey Nicole, saw your comment on Jamie's blog. Fun to find all the 10th Wardies on here! :) Email me so I can invite you to my blog.....katieadickson{at}hotmail{dot}com

Good job on being a good mom and carving pumpkins. I totally got out of it this year by procrastinating. By the time I went to buy pumpkins (on Halloween day), they were all sold out. Dang! Maybe next year. :)